Buy A House With A Damp Musty Basement? What To Know
If you have purchased a property and you've noticed that there are some white marks on the basement walls, and the basement feels damp and smells musty, mold and mildew could be a concern. There are a lot of concerns with mold and mildew throughout the property like the following:
- Respiratory complications and infections
- Allergic reactions
- Asthma attacks
- Material decomposition
Everyone's reactions to mold will differ. You have to address the mold right away if you want to be able to treat it properly. Here are a few things you'll want to consider doing to treat the problem.
Mold Inspection and Remediation
Have the property inspected for mold. You may be surprised to find that it's lingering in walls where you can't see, or that it's inside the ducts and ventilation system. If there are any white marks on the basement walls this means moisture came through the foundation, and the white lines are residue. This means moisture was present and you want to have the property inspected. After inspection ask about mold remediation to undo the damages and mold infestation throughout the property.
Foundation Treatment and Sealing
If there are white marks on the foundation and you know it was exposed to water, have the foundation looked at by concrete repair professionals to see if there are damages that need repaired. Once the foundation is inspected and repaired, you'll want to have it sealed. The sealant that is designed for concrete and your foundation will stop ground water from coming into the basement, and will protect the foundation walls.
Moisture Control Options
Look into systems that help remove access moisture in the air in the basement and throughout the house. A dehumidification system that stands alone, or that attaches to the furnace is a great option if you have too much moisture in the air. A humidistat can help you regulate the moisture in the air in your basement.
If you have noticed that your basement has moisture concerns and you aren't sure how long there has been moisture in the space, you want to get some help from the professionals, like Big Mountain Insulators Inc, to make sure there aren't mold and mildew problems to be concerned with, and also to make sure the foundation isn't compromised. The sooner you try to treat the problem the sooner you can stop worrying about air purity and moisture damage in your underground space.